6 Little-known ways to stop removal proceedings in Atlanta

Atlanta, GA – When there’s a will, there’s a way. An illegal immigrant facing deportation must explore all avenues allowing them to stop the removal proceedings and remain in Georgia to fulfill their American dream. If you cannot use family-based immigration to obtain a Green Card, you may think there’s nothing to do. But there is. The first thing you need to do is talk to a reliable Atlanta deportation attorney, someone with many years of practice in this field. A lawyer who is not afraid to get creative can use these little-known, but very effective ways to stop the removal proceedings against you.

Ways to stop removal proceedings you may not know about

When you go to an immigration lawyer they will study your case and tell you straight away if there’s something they can do to help you. If you find a very determined attorney they may propose a defense strategy you have not considered yet.

Prosecutorial Discretion

Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials can, under certain circumstances, use their discretion to stop removal proceedings. Recently, they have been issued new guidelines urging them to do so whenever possible to reduce the backlog of cases.

U Visas

Victims of human trafficking and other serious crimes can have the removal proceedings against them stopped if they are willing to help in an ongoing investigation. The immigrant may be issued a U visa, which allows them to stay and work in the US for up to four years. After that, the immigrant may obtain permanent residence in the US.


The U.S. government designates certain countries for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) if, at the moment, conditions in that country make a person’s return unsafe. For instance, following the Russian invasion, Ukraine has received TPS so nationals of this country can legally remain in the US. You may also use NACARA, an act offering relief from deportation to individuals from certain Central Americas and Eastern European countries.

VAWA Cancellation of Removal

If you were a victim of domestic violence, you may be eligible for relief under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). Abused immigrant women can use a VAWA Self-Petition to obtain legal status independently of their abusers. Your immigration lawyers will have to show you are of a good moral character and have suffered various forms of abuse at the hands of your husband who is a US citizen or has permanent legal residence.

Motion to Terminate

If the charges listed in the Notice to Appear (NTA) are not correct, an applicant may be able to file a Motion to Terminate asking the Immigration Court to stop the proceedings. This is why it is very important to read the NTA carefully. If in doubt, seek legal counsel from an experienced lawyer.

Motion to Suppress

Even if you are not a US citizen, you still have rights. If you were detained by the ICE in violation of constitutional due process or applicable immigration regulations, you may be able to request the Immigration Court to suppress the evidence against you and cancel removal proceedings.

If you have received a Notice to Appear before the Immigration Court, schedule an appointment with a trustworthy lawyer at Kuck | Baxter Immigration LLC in Atlanta or their South Georgia office.

Contact info:

Kuck | Baxter Immigration LLC

365 Northridge Road

Suite 300

Atlanta, GA 30350

Tel : (404) 816-8611

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *