Whether you slipped and fell or were involved in a car crash in Fort Lauderdale, FL, if you suffered a neck injury, you are probably finding it difficult to get some of your day-to-day tasks completed. Although neck injuries range in severity, it can be extremely uncomfortable to experience any level of pain in your neck. Now, if you haven’t yet had a medical professional assess your condition, you are encouraged to do so as soon as possible to prevent your injury from worsening and of course, so you can get some relief.
Some of the things you can expect to occur upon visiting with a doctor after suffering a neck injury include:
- The physician may order imaging tests to be performed. Some of the common types of imaging tests include:
- X-rays. An X-ray may “reveal areas in your neck where your nerves or spinal cord might be pinched by bone spurs or other degenerative changes.”
- CT scan. A CT scan will use “X-ray images taken from many different directions to produce detailed cross-sectional views of the internal structures of your neck.”
- MRI. An “MRI uses radio waves and a strong magnetic field to create detailed images of bones and soft tissues, including the spinal cord and the nerves coming from the spinal cord.”
[Source: Mayo Clinic].
How are neck injuries treated after a car accident?
Mayo Clinic provides a few methods of treatment that might be rendered after an individual suffers a neck injury. These include:
- Having you attend physical therapy. This method of treatment may be recommended by your physician depending on the degree of your injury. When attending physical therapy, you will likely be paired up with a physical therapist who will be able can teach you “correct posture, alignment, and neck-strengthening exercises, and can use heat, ice, electrical stimulation, and other measures to help ease your pain and prevent a recurrence.”
In the event you are seeking physical therapy or chiropractic care to treat the neck injury you suffered in an accident, HealthPoint Chiropractic Clinic provides these services along with others as well. HealthPoint Chiropractic Clinic is conveniently located in Fort Lauderdale at 4711 North Dixie Hwy, Suite Aand the professionals there integrate the chiropractic care they provide with massage, exercise, and physical rehabilitation.
- Having you apply Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) to the injured area. TENS is accomplished by having electrodes placed on your skin near the areas of concern that will “deliver tiny electrical impulses [to help] relieve pain.”
- Participate in traction therapy.“Traction uses weights, pulleys or an air bladder to gently stretch your neck.” This type of therapy is used to help provide relief from the neck pain you might be experiencing.
- Undergo short-term immobilization. This involves using “a soft collar that supports your neck [designed to] help relieve pain by taking pressure off the structures in your neck.”
Aside from seeking medical attention to treat your neck injury, you are also encouraged to contact an accident lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL if you suffered any type of injury. USAttorneys.com can pair you up with a legal representative in your area who will help you recover the maximum amount of compensation your injury permits you to collect.