Involved in a car wreck and don’t have insurance? This is a difficult position to be in if you live in the city of Joliet, Illinois or anywhere else in the U.S. for that matter. While it is estimated that -13.8% of drivers are uninsured, if you are one of those individuals or have thought about not paying that expensive insurance premium that you keep getting billed for each month, you may want to consider why having insurance is crucial in the event you engage in an accident [Source: How Stuff Works].
Here are some reasons why you want to always carry at least the minimum insurance limits in the state of Illinois.
- Insurance covers repairs and/or medical bills
There are various types of coverages available through your auto insurance company but only some are actually required for you to have. But, don’t let that confuse you into thinking you don’t need the other types of coverage as they could become rather useful if you engage in an accident in the city of Joliet.
Before going any further, below is an explanation of what types of insurance coverage are available and then we will divulge into what your state demands you to have.
- Bodily injury liability coverage- This will pay for injuries you cause to other drivers and passengers as a result of an accident. Our accident lawyers in Joliet, IL have handled cases where injuries were severe and even life-threatening so you do want to have this type of coverage to help compensate for those injuries as the medical care isn’t exactly cheap.
- Property damage liability- This type of coverage will help cover any repairs that may need to be done to others’ vehicles and property that may have become damaged as a result of the incident.
- Collision will reimburse you for damages you caused to your own vehicle, even if you caused the crash.
- Personal injury protection will pay for the costs associated with the medical care to treat your injuries and those your passengers may have sustained.
- Comprehensive will cover damages to your vehicle from accidents that occurred as result of a natural disaster or something else aside from a car accident.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage- If you get into a collision with a driver who isn’t carrying enough insurance or any at all, this will protect you and provide you with the compensation you need that you aren’t able to recoup from the other driver.
- Insurance is a state requirement and you may wind incurring fines, fees, and even spending time in jail if you aren’t carrying the state required limits.
If you ask an accident attorney in Joliet, they can tell you various reasons why it isn’t wise to drive without insurance. Aside from collecting compensation for your accident, carrying the state required limits prevents you from being ticketed, fined, or thrown in jail.
In the state of Illinois, you must have the following types of coverage on your insurance policy and should always have proof of this coverage with you in your vehicle at all times.
Vehicle Liability Coverage
- $25,000 – injury or death of one person in an accident
- $50,000 – injury or death of more than one person in an accident
- $20,000 – damage to property of another person
And if you were recently involved in an accident in Joliet and weren’t carrying your insurance, now would be a good time to contact us so we can place you in touch with a nearby Joliet, Illinois accident lawyer as you are going to want to have a legal representative working on your side.