If your child is at an age where they would prefer to be with one parent over the other, this can make carrying out a child custody order difficult for both parties. While you don’t want to be the parent that forces your child to do something they don’t want to do, you also don’t want to be accused of not supporting a healthy relationship between your child and their other parent. So, what do you do when your child expresses that they don’t want to visit with their other parent?

Well, if an Alabama family court issued a child custody order that requires the child to spend time with both parents, then you are obligated to send your child with them when it is their scheduled time to see them. Failure to comply with the child custody order carries serious consequences, all of which you aren’t going to want to be faced with. Now, although you must send your child with their other parent, there may be a few ways you can address the issue depending on the reasoning for why they don’t want to go.


  1. If your child simply prefers to be with you over their other parent, consider discussing with your ex-partner or spouse some ways to get your child more excited about visiting with them.


  1. If your child has expressed to you that they do not feel safe while visiting with their mom or dad, then this type of situation calls for the help of an Alabama child custody lawyer who can help you take immediate action. Before you can keep your child from visiting with their other parent, you will need to have gathered enough evidence to prove why he/she isn’t safe when visiting with him/her. Certain requests will also need to be filed with the court.


In the event you do not feel comfortable with sending your child with their other parent as there is visible evidence that indicates they are being mistreated, it would be in your best interest to contact 911 and then Hill, Gossett, Kemp & Hufford, P.C. The Alabama child custody attorneys at this firm will help you understand what your legal rights are along with the next steps that need to be taken so that your custody order can be modified.


Disclaimer: No representation is made that quality of legal services provided is greater than the quality of legal services provided by other attorneys.


Hill, Gossett, Kemp & Hufford, P.C. can be reached at:


Moody Office

2603 Moody Parkway, Suite 200

Moody, Alabama 35004

Phone: (205) 640-2000

Website: www.hwhlawgroup.com


Leeds Office

7900 Parkway Drive

Leeds, AL 35094

Phone: (205) 699-5500


Springville Office

6441 U.S. Highway 11

Springville, Alabama 35146

Phone: (205) 467-2225

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *