Although states are beginning to relax COVID-19 restrictions, that doesn’t change the fact that there are still millions of individuals who are out of work or unemployed. Many of these individuals are not only struggling to cover the costs of their basic necessities (i.e. rent, food, utilities, etc.), but they are also finding it difficult to keep up with their child support payments. So, what does a parent do when they are unemployed and unable to afford the child support payments they were paying prior to the COVID-19 outbreak?


Well, there are a few avenues a parent can take to address the issue.


  1. Check with the Alabama Department of Labor to see if you qualify for unemployment.

Not only might these funds help you to keep up with your finances, but you can also have your child support payments deducted from your unemployment check so that you don’t fall behind. With so many people seeking unemployment in Alabama, it is best that you get your application submitted as soon as possible so that the Alabama Department of Labor can begin processing your claim.

  1. Hire an Alabama child support lawyer who can help you submit a request to have your child support order modified.

If you don’t qualify for unemployment or the Alabama Department of Labor is taking longer than usual to process your claim, you can always consult with an Alabama child support attorney regarding getting your order modified. Because the courts do require that you submit certain paperwork to get the modification process started, it is recommended that you have an experienced lawyer helping you. If you are interested in reading more about the process of getting your child support order revised, you can visit the Office of Child Support Enforcement’s website.


Ready to get your child support order modified?


The courts will typically allow for a child support order to be modified if a parent can prove that their circumstances have changed. Losing your job or being temporarily laid off until things pick up again are usually viable grounds to request that a child support order be modified. If you’re ready to learn more about the process and whether your situation would qualify you to have your child support payments reduced or put on hold, contact Hill, Gossett, Kemp & Hufford, P.C.


Disclaimer: No representation is made that quality of legal services provided is greater than the quality of legal services provided by other attorneys.


Hill, Gossett, Kemp & Hufford, P.C. can be reached at:


Moody Office

2603 Moody Parkway, Suite 200

Moody, Alabama 35004

Phone: (205) 640-2000



Leeds Office

7900 Parkway Drive

Leeds, AL 35094

Phone: (205) 699-5500


Springville Office

6441 U.S. Highway 11

Springville, Alabama 35146

Phone: (205) 467-2225

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *