Did you know that based on statistical data, “361,481 babies are born each day around the world, according to sheknows.com?” That’s right. And among the tens of thousands of babies born each year in the U.S., 28,000 babies are born with some sort of injury, according to Birth Injury Guide. While some babies develop these unfortunate conditions while in the womb, others are directly related to an error made on part by the treating physician or other health care worker.
If you or your baby were injured during the birthing process, Austin, TX personal injury lawyers at The Robson Law Firm are more than capable of assisting with getting a claim filed and you on your way to obtaining the compensation you and your beloved baby may be entitled to receive.
When a delivery doesn’t go according to plan, or a physician makes decisions without considering a patient’s health and well-being, accidents and injuries are often the result. According to data, some of the most common types of birthing injurie include:
- Brachial Plexus Palsy, also known as Erb’s Palsy
- Bone fractures
- Cephalohematoma- This is a hemorrhage of blood between the skull and periosteum of the newborn baby.
- Caput succedaneum- This usually occurs when a vacuum extraction is required during the delivery process. Caput succedaneum refers to the swelling of a baby’s head that often goes away, but could ultimately pose as a threat to your infant’s health.
- Perinatal asphyxia- When a baby is deprived of oxygen during the birthing process, they could suffer physical harm to the brain as a result of this.
- Intracranial hemorrhage is when a newborn has bleeding in the brain.
- Subconjunctival hemorrhage generally occurs when a baby undergoes a stressful delivery. This occurs when the small blood vessels rupture that are located beneath the eye.
- Facial paralysis
- Spinal cord injuries
- Cerebral palsy
Although these are only some of the types of injuries a newborn suffers from, there are many others that can occur, and do. Doctors and other health care professionals are expected to provide treatment that meets the standard level of care. When they don’t, or fail to care for a patient in the manner that avoids harm, they should be held liable when damage is done.
While some of the birth-related injuries occur out of shear disregard for the patient, others occur as a result of an error. But, if your newborn has sustained injuries that may affect him/her temporarily or even permanently, it is important you understand what your rights are.
By visiting www.robsonlawfirm.com, you can learn more about how an Austin, Texas personal injury lawyer such as Chris Robson can help you, and the various types of cases he is able to take on.
While the personal injury lawyers at The Robson Law Firm in Austin TX are more than qualified and capable of helping you get your birth injury claim or lawsuit filed, they can also assist you with injuries incurred as a result of an auto accident, slip and fall, or product liability. You can contact the Robson Law Firm by calling 512-345-8200 today.