Whether you have decided on your own that you wish to file for divorce from your spouse or you both have come to an agreement that it needs to be done, you are going to want to be aware of what steps are involved in getting the divorce process started.
According to nycourts.org, in order to get the divorce process going, you are going to need to:
- Buy an index number at the County Clerk’s Office.
- File a Summons with Notice or a Summons and Verified Complaint.
- You will need to have someone who is over the age of 18 who is not associated with your divorce serve your spouse with the papers.
- From there, you will need to go through the courts to get your divorce finalized although a hearing may not be necessary.
While the steps sound simple, not all relationships end in a civil manner. For instance, one person may not be in agreement with the divorce, hence, making it a struggle to get it finalized. In other situations, couples may have children together which means custody is going to need to be determined. There may also be assets that have been purchased as a couple and those may or not need to be divided. In any event, all this must be addressed before a divorce can be granted.
But, the best way to learn about the divorce process and its entirety is to schedule your free consultation with Poughkeepsie, NY divorce lawyer Danielle Fenichel. She has years’ worth of experience in divorce law, will inform you of all the pertinent information you need to be aware of, and listen to your particular concerns. Every divorce case varies and each person involved handles it differently so it is important that you have support from someone who works in this field on a regular basis who can guide you through it.
When Can I Use the Do-it-Yourself Uncontested Divorce Program?
As mentioned before, there are certain steps you need to follow if you are looking to file for divorce in the state of New York. But, if your divorce is an uncontested one, there may be another alternative for you. An uncontested divorce can occur when:
- You and your spouse have no disagreements when it comes to financial or divorce-related issues.
- Your spouse has agreed to the divorce or failed to appear in the divorce action.
Aside from agreeing on the terms of the divorce, you must also meet the following criteria:
- You and the person looking to divorce must be over the age of 18.
- You and this person have no children together who have been conceived by the both of you or adopted by both who are under the age of 21 years of age.
Do I Need to Hire a Poughkeepsie, New York Divorce Attorney?
Although it isn’t a requirement, the Poughkeepsie divorce attorneys at The Law Office of Danielle Fenichel are knowledgeable, understanding, and compassionate toward your situation and can and will help you obtain the outcome you want in your divorce. You can contact a legal representative today by calling 845-867-2840 and get your meeting scheduled to discuss your matter.