How To Make Sure Child Support Goes to Your Children in New Mexico

If you’re getting divorced in Georgia and have children, one of the big considerations you’ll have to make involves child support. Child support payments are calculated by the courts based on your income, your former spouse’s income, and assets. In order to ensure that your children receive the child support they deserve, you may want to speak to a family law attorney. Abbott & Abbott, P.C. in Marietta are family law attorneys who can answer your questions about child support.

Child support is typically paid to the custodial parent by the non-custodial parent. According to the Huffington Post, the amount of child support you’ll be required to pay will be determined by state guidelines based on your income and assets. Yet, the reality is that many non-custodial parents are unaware that they may have little say in how that money is used, if they don’t take measures in a parenting plan to protect their rights.

In a parenting plan, both parents decide when visitation will occur, how transportation will be handled, and how decisions regarding the children will be made. While the recipient of child support generally has the right to spend the money how they see fit, the non-custodial parent paying child support can ask that portions of the money be used in certain ways. For instance, the parenting plan can stipulate that certain percentages of the money go to a child’s college fund or goes to pay for a child’s private schooling.

The key is making sure that you make these decisions in the parenting plan itself, and not after your divorce and parenting plans have been finalized by the courts. It can be very difficult to modify parenting plans or child support payments after these decisions have been made by a judge.

New Mexico’s Child Support Enforcement Services protect children by making sure child support is paid. They don’t enforce how that child support is used. This is an important distinction to remember as you negotiate the terms of your divorce and parenting plan.

If you’re going through a divorce and have questions about child custody, child support, and your parenting plan, it’s a good idea to speak to a lawyer.  A divorce lawyer can review your circumstances, discuss your wishes, and then work with you and your former spouse to help you find the best possible resolution. Abbott & Abbott, P.C.  are family law attorneys in Marietta who can help you as you navigate this challenging time. You can visit Abbott & Abbotts  website at


By | 2:07 pm | Categories: Legal News | 0 Comments

Leave a Reply