Understanding the process that follows after being criminally charged is vital as many are often faced with a first-time offense and aren’t exactly clear on what is to come. One of the first things that needs to happen after being arrested for a crime, such as a DUI, is the defendant, which is the offender, is given an initial arraignment which generally occurs within 48-72 hours depending on whether the arrest took place on a weekend.
What Happens at a DUI Arraignment?
According to the California Courts, “the arraignment is the first time the defendant appears in court.” There are a few things that occur during this time which include:
- The judge will inform the defendant on:
- What their charges are.
- What his or her constitutional rights are.
- Acknowledge that if the defendant doesn’t have enough money to hire a DUI lawyer, the court will appoint a lawyer free of charge.
While having legal representation is crucial to your DUI case, you are going to want to consider hiring your own California DUI defense attorney as they are going to have adequate time to spend on your case along with giving it the attention it requires. USAttorneys.com can help get you connected with a local lawyer who specializes in DUI now.
- After being informed of the charges, the defendant then has the opportunity to enter their plea. Some common pleas include: guilty, not guilty, or no contest. It is always advisable that you have a Monterey, CA DUI lawyer representing you when entering your plea who will provide you with their legal expertise all throughout your case.
- After a plea is entered, whether it be not guilty or guilty, the judge will either:
- Allow the defendant to be released with the agreement that they will return to court on a specified date.
- Set a bail and send the defendant back to jail until bail is posted.
- Deny the defendant bail and send them back to jail.
Now, here is where having a DUI lawyer in Monterey can truly benefit you. Depending on your charges and the severity of your DUI arrest, if your lawyer has a relationship with the judge, they may be able to convince them to provide you with bail as opposed to just sending you back to jail. There are several individuals who are required to sit behind bars until their trial date approaches simply because they didn’t have the proper legal representation.
When is the Right Time to Hire a Monterey DUI Defense Lawyer?
If you or someone you know has been arrested for DUI or caused a drunk driving accident, now is the best time to contact USAttorneys. The faster you are connected with legal counsel, the better. Rather than wasting time attempting to find the right type of legal aid, let USAttorneys connect you with some of the best DUI lawyers in the field free of charge. DUI charges and the consequences that follow can alter your life so your best bet is to have the best legal representation you possibly can for your arraignment and throughout your entire case.