Cedar Rapids area construction worker died after being injured on the job

Many kinds of manual labor including construction can be dangerous due to heavy machinery, falling objects, and other hazards. When someone is injured while working, there are remedies available to compensate them for their losses, including missed wages and hospitalization. 

A worker on a construction site in Iowa was killed by a motor vehicle during his shift. The incident happened west of Cedar Rapids near Des Moines. 

Worker killed when a car drove into a job site

Local police responded to the work zone after receiving an emergency call about the accident at around 11:30am that morning. Based on an initial investigation, it appeared that a car was driving by the construction workers in the area when it suddenly went towards them. The driver lost control of the vehicle, jumped a curb, and struck a 41 year old male who was working nearby. The victim was transported to a nearby hospital, but he died from his injuries shortly afterward. 

One suspect was taken into custody after the motor vehicle collision. He was a 72 year old male from Des Moines who was driving without a valid license or insurance. Police said that he will be charged with failure to control a vehicle, not having insurance while driving, and vehicular homicide. The Iowa State Patrol will conduct a full investigation.

Losses sustained while working

As a general rule, there are a number of steps a person can take after a work related injury to help them cover lost wages and medical treatment.

A workers compensation claim is a common way for the victim to recover their normal wages while they are not working due to an injury sustained on the job. In most cases, the worker only has to prove that they were working in their normal capacity and following all relevant safety rules when the injury happened. If the employer made mistakes that led to these injuries there are additional ways to receive compensation.

A personal injury lawsuit can be filed against the employer, the person who caused the accident, or both depending on the situation. This is a common type of lawsuit that is usually associated with motor vehicle accidents, but these civil cases can help almost any injured person. 

The victim can retain an attorney to prove that the person or business at fault was negligent by breaching their standard duty of care. They can also ask for damages that are related to the amount of money the victim lost due to their injuries.

Get assistance in the Cedar Rapids area

There are local attorneys who help all kinds of accident victims. To learn more about the possibility of a lawsuit, contact: 

Eells and Tronvold Law Offices

1921 51st Street NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402-2400 




0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *