Leeds, AL–If you’ve fallen into debt and have exhausted all options to get you back on your feet, Chapter 7 bankruptcy may be the solution you’re looking for. Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which is often referred to as “straight bankruptcy,” helps you eliminate most, if not all, of your debt. That means you wouldn’t be required to pay it back after you emerge from the bankruptcy proceedings.
While Chapter 7 bankruptcy has helped thousands of people pay off some or all of their debt and re-emerge with a clean slate, not everyone qualifies for it. To qualify for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, you’ll need to meet certain requirements, some of which we are discussing down below.
You can file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in Alabama if you meet these criteria.
In order to take advantage of bankruptcy protection, Experian says you’ll need to meet the following criteria(1):
- You haven’t filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy within the last eight years.
- It’s been at least 181 days since you attempted to file for Chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy and your case was dismissed.
- Your income for the past six months (averaged) is lower than your state’s median income for the same-sized household, according to the consumer credit reporting agency. If your income exceeds this, you must then pass a means test.
If you meet the criteria listed above, you generally can apply for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. However, before the proceedings can start, you’ll need to complete credit counseling within 180 days of your filing.
Find out if Chapter 7 bankruptcy is the right choice for you.
Although you may qualify to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, you’ll want to be sure it’s a suitable option given your current circumstances. A Leed, AL bankruptcy attorney can assess your situation and determine if filing for bankruptcy is the best option to resolve the financial issues you’re facing. If you’d like to discuss your Chapter 7 bankruptcy with an experienced bankruptcy lawyer, contact Hill, Gossett, Kemp & Hufford, P.C. today at one of their office locations listed down below.
Disclaimer: No representation is made that quality of legal services provided is greater than the quality of legal services provided by other attorneys.
Hill, Gossett, Kemp & Hufford, P.C. can be reached at:
2603 Moody Parkway, Suite 200
Moody, Alabama 35004
Phone: (205) 640-2000
7900 Parkway Drive
Leeds, AL 35094
Phone: (205) 699-5500
6441 U.S. Highway 11
Springville, Alabama 35146
Phone: (205) 467-2225
- 3 Ways You Can Recover Compensation Following a Car Accident - September 18, 2022
- If Someone Uses My Car, Will My Insurance Cover Them in the Event of an Accident? - July 13, 2022
- Here’s All the Celebs Who Filed for Divorce in 2022 So Far - July 8, 2022