After a person has been involved in an accident in Chula Vista, CA that was caused by someone else’s actions, they may decide to bring a claim against that individual in an effort to recover compensation for their injuries/losses. For example, if the accident resulted in a driver suffering a spinal cord injury, he/she may need surgery and ongoing medical care. If the driver’s insurance policy doesn’t carry limits that can support these costly medical bills, the victim might resort to filing a personal injury lawsuit.

When filing a personal injury lawsuit in California, it is especially important for a victim to pay attention to the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations is the timeframe a person has to bring a lawsuit against another party. Each type of lawsuit that is filed has its own statute of limitations. For instance, if a person wanted to file a lawsuit for the injuries they suffered in a car accident, they would only have two years from the date of the injury to file their claim. But, if they didn’t know they suffered an injury until sometime after the accident, then they would only be permitted to file suit one year from the date their injury became known.


Accidents that Involve Government Agencies in Chula Vista, CA


Although the statute of limitations for most personal injury cases is two years from the date of the injury, the timeframe does change when the claim is brought against a government agency. If a Californian wanted to sue a government agency, the California Courts website states that they are required to “file a special claim called an administrative claim with the government office or agency before [they] can file in court.” When the claim is for personal injury, the administrative claim must be filed within six months of the date of the injury.


What happens when the statute of limitations runs out?


If a claim for personal injury is filed after the statute of limitations has expired, there is a good chance the court will view the claim as no longer being valid. If a victim of a car accident isn’t sure how much longer they have to file a claim or were recently involved in an accident with another driver, they should consult with a Chula Vista, CA personal injury attorney. For years, the Law Offices of Bruce S. Meth has been helping accident victims exercise their legal rights and recover the compensation they are due, and they are eager to help anyone else who believes they have a case against another party.


The Law Offices of Bruce S. Meth can be reached at:


Phone: (619) 691-8942

Email: [email protected]


Chula Vista Office

815 Third Ave., Ste. 115

Chula Vista, CA 91911



Mission Valley Office

1761 Hotel Court, Suite 250

San Diego, CA 92108

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *