Many of the types of accidents that occur that involve a driver who was guilty of operating their vehicle while intoxicated often result in one or more of the following types of scenarios:
- The motorist crashed their vehicle into a building, home, or other free standing object alongside of the road.
- The driver engaged in an accident with another vehicle, a bicyclist, motorcyclist, or pedestrian and injuries were sustained.
- An accident occurred which left someone or several individuals dead.
While all of the above scenarios aren’t anything any driver wants to deal with, these types of incidents occur frequently and vary in severity for the consequences that come along with them. Majority of crashes that involve an intoxicated driver are rather serious because the driver displayed signs of negligence and sped, swerved their vehicle carelessly, or failed to abide by traffic laws and signals.
If you were recently involved in an auto accident where you were arrested for OWI in the state of Indiana and the accident resulted in a death, you are going to want to consider hiring legal counsel. USAttorneys features some of the top OWI/DUI lawyers in the state that can help increase your chances of getting your charges reduced as you are probably looking at facing the maximum penalty.
Penalties for Driving Drunk and Causing a Fatal Accident
As mentioned, your punishments for being caught driving while drunk vary based on the circumstances and the outcome of you engaging in this behavior. To give you a better idea of what these penalties would be, below is a breakdown of two types of charges involving OWI using information provided by dmv.org.
- If you are found guilty of DUI/OWI in Carmel, Indiana, and it is your first offense with no injuries or other collisions reported, you are looking at:
- A minimum of $300 in court costs.
- A maximum of $5,000 in fines.
- Having your license suspended for two years.
- Required to submit to alcohol and/or drug testing.
- You may be required to attend a substance abuse education course and a victim impact panel.
- Found guilty of OWI where a death resulted from the reckless engagement.
- You are looking a Class C Felony charge.
- You could be placed in jail for up to eight years.
- Pay a maximum in $10,000 in fines.
Note that if you are arrested for OWI in Carmel, IN or any city in Indiana for that matter, your penalties will become harsher and you could potentially lose you freedom and driving privileges for a long period of time.
Need a Carmel, IN Lawyer Who Specializes in OWI Charges?
If you are seeking legal aid and aren’t sure who you should hire, allow USAttorneys to step and assist. We offer a free service where we will help you in locating a reputable and knowledgeable OWI lawyer in your city. The Indiana OWI attorneys featured on USAttorneys.com possess a special set skills that will be valuable to getting your charged reduced. Whether you are looking at an OWI charge where an injury was sustained or one that resulted with a death, you need the proper legal representation and we can aid you in finding it.