When a person is hurt in an accident in Dallas, TX, one of the first things they should do after obtaining medical care is find an accident lawyer in their area who can help them understand their legal rights. After an individual has suffered injuries in an accident (e.g. a car accident, work accident, etc.), there is a good chance they will be contacted by the insurance company, an attorney, or any other involved parties looking to gain more information about the incident. However, before speaking to any of these parties, it is always best that an accident victim consults with an accident lawyer beforehand to ensure they don’t say something that could potentially jeopardize their chances of being awarded the compensation they are entitled to.
The Benefits of Retaining an Attorney After an Accident in Dallas
Accidents are traumatic events that can result in a person suffering minor to severe injuries. Sometimes, these injuries impact a person’s physical abilities while in other cases, they may lead to cognitive impairments. It is extremely important for a person who has been involved in an accident to retain a Dallas, TX accident lawyer as they can help with many different things such as:
- Determine who’s at fault. Although an accident victim might believe they may have played a role in causing an accident, they should never admit fault until they have spoken to an attorney. A lawyer can use their skills along with pertinent information from the incident to determine who, in fact, is to blame. If another person was responsible, he/she can assist with recovering the compensation the victim is due.
- Assess a victim’s damages. If a person suffered in any way after an accident, they may be entitled to damages. An attorney is one of the few qualified professionals who can assess an accident victim’s damages. Some of the damages an accident victim might be entitled to receive include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- File a claim with the insurance company. If the at-fault party is properly insured, an attorney can assist a victim with recovering the maximum amount of compensation they are due from their insurer or the insurer of the liable party.
- File a personal injury lawsuit on behalf of a victim. If legal action is warranted, a victim may be eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit against the other parties involved. For example, if the accident involved a commercial truck, the victim might have a case against the driver, their employer, and/or the company responsible for overseeing the truck’s operations.