A majority of workers in the state of South Carolina are entitled to collect workers’ compensation benefits when they are injured in a work-related accident or contract an illness while on the job. These benefits are rather helpful, especially when an employee is unable to work, as they will cover medical expenses and even a percentage of your pay for the days you miss. Now, if the injury is more severe and you are expected to not be able to return to work, these benefits should supply you with the compensation you need seeing you are no longer physically or mentally in a condition to work.

Do I have to file a workers’ compensation claim to receive benefits?

Generally, your employer will be the one to file a claim on your behalf. Once you notify your employer of your injury or illness, and you must do this within a 90-day time frame from the day you were involved in an accident, then they should handle the rest. Now, there are times where employees have had to take matters into their own hands a submit a claim themselves. In most cases, you won’t have to do this, however, below are some of the reasons why you might find yourself needing to:

  1. Your employer did not report your accident.
  2. Your employer has denied your injury by accident.
  3. You believe you did not receive all of the benefits you were entitled to.

[Source: South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission].
Unfortunately, not all workers’ compensation claims are handled properly and sometimes, you may need a SC work accident attorney to step in and help remedy the situation.
If you live in Greensville, SC and are dealing with one or more of the following issues, then now might be a good time to submit your claim or hire a SC workers’ compensation attorney who can help you with this and ensure your paperwork is properly filled out to avoid any further delay. Now, if you choose to file a claim on your own, you will need to submit Form 50 or Form 52 to the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission. If you are unable to download these forms from their website, you also have the option of emailing the Commission’s Claims Department at [email protected] and requesting the forms from there.
The Commission also reminds you that when you are filling out the form, remember to check the box 13a. which states, “I am filing a claim. I am not requesting a hearing at this time.” After your forms are submitted, you should hear back from the Commission regarding what your next steps should be. If you find that it’s been weeks and you haven’t heard anything back, consider contacting them at 803-737-5700. And if you find you are still getting nowhere, it would be in your best interest to contact a Greenville, SC workers’ comp lawyer at the Hayes Law Firm.
While workers’ compensation benefits are expected to be provided when a work accident transpires, and an employee sustains an injury, not always are they are awarded. And if your job status permits you to collect these benefits yet your employer or the Commission isn’t handling your claim or delaying the processing of it, you may need a legal representative to step in. With that said, the SC work accident attorneys at this firm are familiar with handling workers’ compensation cases and can help you to secure the benefits you are needing but aren’t getting. So, if you would like to meet with a lawyer at this firm to discuss your matter, visit or call the Hayes Law Firm now at:
870 Cleveland Street
Greenville, SC 29601

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *