How do I report police brutality in Denver?

Denver, CO – In October 2021, the city of Denver agreed to a $1.2 million settlement in a shocking case of police brutality against an unarmed teenager. The incident occurred in 2018 when three police officers savagely beat and shocked Malow Mayek with a Taser while he was lying on the ground. Among other injuries, young Mayek suffered a broken leg which required surgery and left him with mobility issues. Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident in Denver. Between 2016 and 2018, there were over 1,100 police misconduct complaints against Denver law enforcement agents. Only 11% of those complaints were ruled in favor of the civilians. If you want to see justice done, it is essential that you talk to a skilled Denver police brutality lawyer before taking any legal action. 

How to file a police brutality complaint in Denver?

The first step is to file a police brutality complaint with the police department the officers involved work for. According to the law, the department is required to conduct an investigation and take appropriate measures. However, this means cops investigating one of their own so chances are they will side with their fellow officer. This is the main reason why you need help from an experienced Colorado police brutality lawyer. In some cases, the officer at fault may be assigned to another job or reprimanded, but those are rare instances. In most cases, they get away with a slap on the wrist, if that. 

If you are not satisfied with the findings of the internal investigation, you have the right to file a civil rights claim, as the Denver teen beaten by the police did, and seek compensation for your suffering. 

How can a lawyer help?

A seasoned lawyer will help you build a strong case by gathering evidence and looking into the officer’s past.

Most police brutality cases are based on body-cam footage, but your lawyer will comb the area looking for video recordings from surveillance cameras as well. Also, your lawyer will talk to eyewitnesses and enter their testimony as evidence. It is important to get a good lawyer soon after the incident because important evidence might be lost. Even the eyewitnesses’ testimonies might become useless if they only have vague recollections of an incident that took place months ago.

At the same time, your lawyer will investigate whether the law enforcement agents in your case have had other excessive force claims brought against them. One of the officers in the Mayek case had a long history of brutality complaints and yet his commanding officers took no action to stop him. 

In such a case, you can sue not only the officers, but the whole police department for fostering a culture of violence.

If you were injured in the encounter with the police you can claim damages for your medical bills and lost wages, if you were forced to miss work. Also, you can claim compensation for the mental trauma, humiliation and the damages to your reputation the incident caused.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *