How much money do you need to sponsor an immigrant in San Antonio?

San Antonio, TX – If you live in the San Antonio area and want to sponsor an immigrant relative for a Green Card, you will have to meet certain financial requirements. Family-based immigration is a two-step process and it starts with the US citizen or legal permanent resident filing a Petition for an Alien Relative. This is also known as Form I-130 and must be filed with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You will have to submit documents proving the relationship between you and the relative you wish to sponsor for a Green Card, as well as an Affidavit of Support.

What is an Affidavit of Support?

The Affidavit of Support (or Form I-864) is a document under which you assume financial responsibility for the arriving alien so that the US government won’t have to. It is basically a contract between you and the US government and if your relative ends up using certain forms of financial aid, you may have to repay that money to the government.

To sponsor a foreign-born relative for a Green Card you need to be a US citizen or legal permanent resident living in the US, and you must be at least 18 years old.

The trickiest part is proving that you have the financial means to support your relative, and you might want to get advice from an experienced San Antonio immigration attorney who can explain what types of income you can use.

What is the minimum income to sponsor an immigrant in San Antonio?

To sponsor an immigrant for a Green Card you must have an annual income that is at least 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. The more people there are in your US family, the higher your annual income will have to be. 

The minimum annual income required to sponsor a spouse or family member for a Green Card is $22,887 if you live in any state of the continental US. This is the minimum income required if you are based in San Antonio or anywhere else in the state of Texas. For Alaska-based sponsors, the minimum annual income is $28,612, while Hawaii residents must earn at least $26,325. These figures refer to a family of two people. You should add at least $5,900 for every additional family member.

If you’re in the military, the financial requirements are lower, with the minimum annual income starting at $18,310, for a family of two. For instance, if you’re in the military and want to marry a foreign-born person you will have to prove you have an annual income of at least $18,310, to support both of you. 

What income sources can I use?

If you don’t make enough money through your job, a skilled Texas Green Card lawyer can help you meet the requirements by showing you what other income sources you can use when filing the Affidavit of Support. For instance, you can use cash deposits, stocks and bonds, and property, such as a house. 

If you’re bringing a spouse to the US, they can use their own income so you meet the financial requirements, provided they will continue to make money from the same source once they move to Texas. 

If you live in San Antonio and want to help a family member get a Green Card, seek legal advice from a local lawyer with many years of expertise in this field at the Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen

Contact info: Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen

San Antonio, TX

206 East Locust Street

San Antonio, TX 78212

Phone: (210) 769-3273

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *