Immigrating from India to Atlanta, GA? Here are some tips

Atlanta, GA – Indian-born residents make up the second largest immigrant group in Atlanta, Georgia. According to recent statistics, there are over 82,000 Indian-born residents living in the greater Atlanta area. Georgians are welcoming people and there are plenty of economic opportunities in the state, which explains why Atlanta is a favorite destination for Indians. Many would-be immigrants wonder how to get there. What is the easiest way to immigrate from India to the US? How long does it take to get a visa and board a plane to Atlanta? Here are a few tips to help you decide how to go about turning your American dream into reality.

Marriage-based immigration

Getting married to an American citizen or legal permanent resident is the easiest way to get to the US. You have two options here:

  • K-1 fiancé visa: You apply for this type of visa at the local consulate and the marriage takes place when you get to the US
  • Spousal visa: Your American partner travels to India, you get married there and then you apply for a spousal visa.

The process of obtaining a K-1 fiancé visa is not complicated and it shouldn’t take more than 9 months. Keep in mind that the marriage should take place within 90 days of your arrival.
Getting a spousal visa may take between 5 and 14 months.
The difference is that if you come to the US on a K-1 fiancé visa you’ll have to wait longer to get your Green Card, 14 months on average. On the other hand, if you come to the US on a spousal visa you’ll get your Green Card right away.
If you’re not sure which is the best option for you, you should contact an experienced Atlanta marriage-based immigration lawyer and let them help you. And speed up the process as much as possible.

Work visas for Indian immigrants

The state of Georgia provides great economic opportunities for skilled workers in search of jobs. At the same time, Indians have a reputation for being highly-trained and dedicated workers so it’s easy for them to find a job in the US. As a matter of fact, more than 50% of Indian immigrants to the US obtain lawful-permanent residence in the country by way of an employment-based visa.

Immigrant work visas

You can apply for an EB-1 or EB-2 visa. Both allow you to get a Green Card soon after moving to the US.

  • EB-1: Priority Workers
    This type of visa is reserved for foreigners with an extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics
  • EB-2: Professionals and Persons of Exceptional Ability
    You can apply for an EB-2 visa if you have some exceptional ability in sciences, arts, or business, and a relevant degree.
  • Even if you’re not a scientist or university professor, you can still find employment in the US on an EB-3, EB-4, and EB-5 visa. A skilled employment-based immigration lawyer in Atlanta can help you choose the best route for you.

Non-immigrant work visa

You may also come to Atlanta on an H-1B visa. This is a temporary non-immigrant visa and might be easier to obtain. Technically, it doesn’t open a path to citizenship, but once you’re in the US you can change your classification and apply for an immigrant work visa, which comes with a Green Card, for you as well as for your family.

If you’re an Indian national looking to immigrate to the the US or if you are planning on marrying an Indian citizen, schedule an appointment with a trustworthy lawyer at Kuck | Baxter Immigration LLC in Atlanta or their South Georgia office and let them guide you through the process.

Contact info:

Kuck | Baxter Immigration LLC

365 Northridge Road

Suite 300

Atlanta, GA 30350

Tel : (404) 816-8611

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.