Sponsoring an Overseas Relative in Akron, Ohio

photodune 5236383 citizenship xs 300x270 Sponsoring an Overseas Relative in Akron, Ohio
U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents can sponsor a loved one for a green card.

Immigration attorney in Akron, Ohio discusses the basics of sponsoring a relative for a green card in the U.S.

Akron, OH- There are numerous benefits to being a green-card holder in the U.S., so many immigrants seek that status. One of the more efficient ways to obtain a green card is to be sponsored by a relative who is an American citizen or legal permanent resident. In this article, we will discuss the basics sponsoring relatives for a green card.

What are the benefits of a green card?

Green card recipients or legal permanent residents are granted work authorization and are allowed to move freely throughout the U.S. Legal permanent residents are also allowed to travel outside the U.S. with no trouble with reentry. Green card holders don’t have to worry about deportation and can one day apply for citizenship. They can also sponsor other relatives for visas or green cards.

photodune 880690 immigration xs 300x200 Sponsoring an Overseas Relative in Akron, Ohio
Green cards holders are granted work authorization and can travel freely out of the U.S.

How to apply for a family-based green card

The first step in obtaining a family-based green card is to file a visa petition. They apply for green card along with visa petition or after their petition can be approved.

To be eligible for a green card you meet the following criteria as outlined by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services:

  • Applicants must be immediate relatives of a U.S. citizen including spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21, and parents of green card applicants who are 21 or older.
  • Applicants must be a relative of a U.S. citizen that fits into the following preference categories: unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21, married children of any age, and brothers and sisters of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older.
  • Applicants must be related to green card holder including spouses and unmarried children of the green card sponsors.
  • Applicants must be a member of a special category including a battered spouse or child (VAWA), a K nonimmigrant, a person born to a foreign diplomat in the United States, a V nonimmigrant or a widow(er) of a U.S. Citizen.
photodune 8252091 lawyer letterpress xs 300x200 Sponsoring an Overseas Relative in Akron, Ohio
Call an immigration lawyer to explain the process of applying for a green card

An immigrant can apply for a green card before entering the U.S. or after they gain lawful entry. Where an immigrant applies depends on an individual’s circumstances. If you would like to apply for a green card, USAttorneys recommends you speak with an immigration attorney in Akron, Ohio to get their advice about when and where to apply for a green card.

Applying for a green card can be an arduous process and anyone who wants to begin this endeavor needs to have a legal expert on their side. It is so easy to make a mistake that could lead to a denial, so speak with an immigration lawyer near you in Akron. Set up a consultation today and learn what steps you must take to apply for a green card or sponsor a relative.

By | 10:28 pm | Categories: Immigration News | 0 Comments

Leave a Reply