Is it necessary to obtain a license to start a business in Florida?

Fruitland Park, FL—There are certain types of licenses businesses are required to obtain in order to conduct business in the State of Florida. The types of goods/services being sold play a major role in determining exactly what licenses a business owner must first obtain before they are legally permitted to do business.

For example, if someone was looking to sell alcoholic beverages and/or tobacco products, they may be required to apply for and obtain multiple licenses from The Division of Alcoholic Beverages & Tobacco. Those looking to offer these products, whether it will be to customers or guests (i.e. individuals staying at a hotel), can view a list of the licenses the state requires them to obtain before they can are able to do business.

Anyone looking to offer any of the following services must also obtain certain licenses:

  • Interior design
  • Architecture
  • Athlete agency
  • Asbestos contractors and consultants
  • Auctioneers
  • Barber
  • Boxing, kickboxing, and mixed martial arts
  • Building code administrators and inspectors
  • Accounting
  • Childcare
  • Construction
  • Cosmetology
  • Hotels
  • Restaurants
  • Real-estate
  • Food services


Now, before the state issues a license to certain individuals, it may check to see if the person is qualified to offer the services they are looking to sell. For example, if an individual is wanting to open a dentist office, there are certain requirements that must be met before they are legally permitted to render dental services to the public.

In addition to obtaining licenses from their state, individuals may also be required to obtain a federal license if the activities they are engaging in are regulated by a federal agency, according to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). Below is an outline of the business activities that generally need a federal license to conduct business:


  • Agriculture

The U.S. Department of Agriculture is responsible for issuing federal licenses to businesses.


  • Alcohol

If alcohol is going to be sold, manufactured, or imported, a business owner will likely need to obtain a federal license from the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.


  • Maritime Transportation

The Federal Maritime Commission is responsible for issuing federal licenses to businesses.


  • Radio/Television Broadcasting

Businesses that broadcast information via radio, television, or even satellite will need to obtain their federal license from the Federal Communications Commission.


How does a business owner know when they have met all state and federal requirements necessary to begin operations?


There is so much for a new business owner to consider in addition to getting their business up and running. Between applying for permits and obtaining licenses, it isn’t uncommon for things to slip through the cracks.

When a business owner fails to obtain one or more licenses or permits, or isn’t in compliance with a rule or regulation, their business and its profits can suffer. Therefore, before a business owner begins operations, they are going to want to sit down with a Fruitland Park, FL business law lawyer who will take the time to ensure they are meeting all the requirements to sell products/services in the State of Florida.

To connect with an experienced business law attorney in the Fruitland Park, FL area now, contact Legal Counsel P.A. at 407-395-2653.


Legal Counsel P.A. is located at:


189 S. Orange Avenue, Ste. 1800

Orlando, FL 32801

Phone: 407-395-2653


Email: [email protected]

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.