Tony is an experienced litigator who has tried cases to verdict in state and federal court. His practice is focused on bankruptcy and creditors’ rights and bankruptcy litigation. His years of experience representing bankruptcy debtors, a chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee, and bankruptcy creditors gives him a unique insight on the issues that arise in bankruptcy cases for all parties involved. Tony also represents creditors in all aspects of debt collection proceedings. In addition to Tony’s bankruptcy and creditor’s rights practice, he also represents clients in matters ranging from general commercial litigation to estate planning, family law and everything in-between. Outside of the office, Tony enjoys spending time with his wife and four daughters.
- Represented chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee in numerous actions involving preference, fraudulent transfer and avoidance actions.
- Represented financial institutions in pursuing and protecting their claims against debtors in bankruptcy cases.
- Represented chapter 7 bankruptcy debtors in their bankruptcy proceedings.
- Secured dismissal of all claims against financial lender by chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee alleging an avoidable preference.
- Successfully prosecuted and settled non-dischargeability action on behalf of commercial lender in bankruptcy court.
- Successfully defended multinational company against all claims, including punitive damages, during federal jury trial.
- Obtained verdict in bench trial in favor of clients who loaned money to defendants as part of larger investment scheme.
- Successfully obtained ruling from Utah Supreme Court that reversed a Utah Court of Appeals decision that subjected affirmed client’s $1M plus debt. Obtained settlement on behalf of client for greatly reduced figure.
- Represented an industry leading fitness equipment company in recovering its equipment under a lease agreement.
- Successfully obtained a prejudgment writ of attachment to preserve a creditor’s property in advance of litigation.
- Successfully represented a corporation and individual against claims stemming from the alleged sexual abuse of minors. Clients paid no damages or settlement amount.
- Represented both landlords and tenants in eviction and possession bond hearings.
- Prepared estate planning documents for many clients.
- Guided clients through mediations and arbitrations that saved the clients hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- Assisted client in modifying child support and alimony payments.
- Successfully represented clients in administrative proceedings involving Utah Workforce Services.
Henshaw v. King, 173 P.3d 876 (Utah Ct.App. 2007)
Duke v. Graham, 158 P.3d 540 (Utah 2007)
Park v. Stanford, 258 P.3d 566 (Utah 2011)
Rushton v. Rhino Energy LLC et al., 740 F.3d 548 (10th Cir. 2014)
Professional Admissions, Associations, and Honors
Utah State Bar
U.S. District Court for the District of Utah
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Utah
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
Volunteer, Utah Legal Services Pro Bono Initiative for low-income tenants
Volunteer, Debtor’s Counseling Legal Clinic
Utah State Bar Association
American Bankruptcy Institute