ABOUT John Fraser
John Fraser is an associate attorney with Grewal Law PLLC and leads the firm’s Cannabis Law division. His practice focuses on cannabis law, general litigation, sexual abuse litigation, criminal defense, and appellate law.
John regularly advises and assists entrepreneurs seeking to operate cannabis-related businesses within Michigan’s regulatory framework. He is the Chair-Elect of the Council for the Marijuana Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan. In addition, John is an adjunct professor of law at Western Michigan University Cooley Law School where he teaches a course on Medical Marijuana and the Law. He also regularly lectures and presents on cannabis law topics to attorneys and the community.
John also serves as an advocates for medical cannabis patients and caregivers. He has successfully represented numerous medical cannabis patients and caregivers charged with serious crimes, including cases involving numerous felony charges. John’s knowledge of Michigan’s medical cannabis laws and his courtroom skills have allowed him to help influence the interpretation of the law in the Michigan Court of Appeals and secure favorable results for his clients, including dismissal of all charges.
John is committed to giving each client’s unique legal problem the personal attention and focus it deserves. Each client’s legal matter is unique and is likely one of the most important issues that he or she may face. John will give your legal matter the individualized attention it needs and will ensure that you have a complete understanding of the legal issues surrounding your situation together with a breakdown of all of your options.
John has litigated cases in trial courts throughout the State of Michigan and has argued cases before the Michigan Court of Appeals and the Michigan Supreme Court. John’s litigation skills have been recognized by his peers, as he was named a Top 5 Lawyer Under 35 by the Ingham County Bar Association and was recognized as a Pioneer by the State Bar of Michigan’s Marijuana Law Section for his efforts in the published Michigan Court of Appeals opinion in People v. Manuel.
John earned his Bachelor of Science, cum laude, from Central Michigan University with a double major in Philosophy and Political Science and a minor in English. John graduated from Michigan State University College of Law, summa cum laude, with a 4.0 GPA, ranked first in his class. During law school, John served as a Managing Editor of the Michigan State Law Review and also served as a teaching assistant for Professors Bruce Ching and Philip Pucillo.
In his free time, John enjoys traveling and spending time with his wife, Cheri. They are expecting their first child, a baby girl, in March 2020. John is a passionate Detroit, CMU, and MSU sports fan and freely admits to being a diehard Detroit Lions fan, despite their seemingly endless struggles. Following his mother’s diagnosis of multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s, John has organized a team to participate in the National Multiple Sclerosis Society’s yearly event, Walk MS Lansing, to raise money to support multiple sclerosis research.
• John W. Fraser, Recreational Marijuana Legalization in Michigan, Ingham County Bar Association BRIEFS, October 2018, at 20.
• John W. Fraser & Ashlee N. Lynn, Family Law Issues in Medical Marijuana: A Smoky Situation, Ingham County Bar Association BRIEFS, September 2018, at 15.
• John W. Fraser, People v. Manuel, Ingham County Bar Association BRIEFS, May 2017, at 16.
• John W. Fraser, Ain’t Too Proud to Beg? Anti-Begging Laws’ First Amendment Problem, 26 Fla. J.L. & Pub. Pol’y (2015).
• John W. Fraser & Alexander Rusek, Holmes Youthful Trainee Act Amendments Expand Eligibility for Young Adults Charged with Criminal Offenses, Ingham County Bar Association BRIEFS, June 2015, at 23.
FEATURED BLOG POSTS
• CANNABIS CONSUMPTION LOUNGES COMING TO MICHIGAN
• CANNABIS AND CARS | MICHIGAN IMPAIRED DRIVING SAFETY COMMISSION REJECTS THC DRIVING LIMITS
• FDA AND FTC CRACK DOWN ON CBD MANUFACTURERS
• RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA BUSINESSES MAY BE COMING TO MICHIGAN SOONER THAN EXPECTED
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT & AWARDS
• Volunteer Judge – 1L RWA Oral Arguments, Michigan State University College of Law (2016-present).
• Volunteer Judge – Moot Court Class Oral Advocacy Competition, Michigan State University College of Law (2015-present).
• National Multiple Sclerosis Society – Team Captain of Team Fraser for Walk MS Lansing (2013-Present).
• Featured Professor on Marijuana Law – People’s Law School
• State Bar of Michigan
• Ingham County Bar Association
• American Bar Association
• Federal Bar Association – Eastern District of Michigan Chapter
• Marijuana Law Section, State Bar of Michigan
• American Association for Justice
• Michigan Association for Justice
• Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan
• National Cannabis Bar Association
Areas of LAW
- Criminal Defense