Attorney Kevin Sutterfield was admitted to practice before the State and Federal Courts of Utah in 1982, and the US Tenth Circuit in 1984, and has had an active litigation practice continuously since that time. After practicing in Salt Lake City for five years, Kevin J. Sutterfield moved to Provo, UT, where he became a partner in the law firm of Howard, Lewis & Petersen. A co-founder and President of Flickinger Sutterfield & Boulton since 1994, he has limited his practice to personal injury and death claims since that time. He is currently and has been a sustaining member of both the American Association for Justice and Utah Association for Justice for decades. Kevin was honored to be chosen in 2005 as a Life Member of the Utah Association for Justice for his long service and contribution to UAJ.
Kevin has served continuously on the Board of Governors or Advisory Board of the Utah Association for Justice since 1991, and was the chief editor and a contributing author of the Utah Trial Journal, its quarterly publication, for several years. Since 2004, he has been honored annually by his peers in Utah Business Magazine as a "Legal Elite," one of the top 100 personal injury attorneys in Utah.
He is a frequent lecturer in continuing legal education and trial practice seminars, and he has authored numerous published articles on subjects of his expertise.
Kevin was born in Long Beach, California, graduated from high school in southeast Idaho, and graduated from college and law school in Utah. An advocate of voluntary service to the community, he was elected to serve on the Board of Directors, Riverside Country Club, (2005-2007), and has served twice on the Board of Directors, Alumni Association, J. Reuben Clark Law School (1995-1998) and (2006-present).
He enjoys golf, traveling, studying history, 4-wheeling, and spending time with his wife, 8 children, and extended family and friends. He is a great storyteller if you can get him to slow down long enough to share one with you.
- Chief Editor and a Contributing Author, Utah Trial Journal, Quarterly Publication
- West v. Holley, 27 UT 97 (2004)
- Rose v. Provo City, 2003 UT App 77 (2003)
- Stamper v. Johnson, 2010 Utah 26 (2010)
Honors and Awards
- Lifetime Achievement Award for Service and Contribution, Utah Association for Justice, 2005
- "Legal Elite" one of the Top 100 Personal Injury Attorneys in Utah, 2004 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice, Member, 1991
- Utah Association for Justice, Member, 1991
- Utah Association for Justice, Board of Governors, 1991 - 2005
- Utah Association for Justice, Advisory Board of Governors, 2005
- Utah Association for Justice, Utah Trial Journal, Editor-in-Chief, 1993 - 1998
- Central Utah Bar Association, 1997
Past Employment Positions
- Flickinger Sutterfield & Boulton, Co - Founder and President
- Howard, Lewis & Petersen, Partner, 1987 - 1994
- U.S. Senator Frank Church, (Idaho), Washington, D.C., Intern, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit, Intern, 1980
Pro Bono Activities
- Board of Directors, Riverside Country Club, 2005 - 2007
- Board of Directors, Alumni Association, J. Reuben Clark Law School, 1995 - 1998
- Board of Directors, Alumni Association, J. Reuben Clark Law School, 2006 - Present