Mr. Kaufman is one of the three founding partners of the law firm of Kaufman, Nichols & Kaufman, PLLC. From 2010 through 2013, Mr. Kaufman was a partner with its predecessor law firm, Farr Kaufman, LLC. Prior to moving back to Ogden, Mr. Kaufman was an associate with the Salt Lake City law firm of Tomsic & Peck LLC from 2005 through 2009. Mr. Kaufman began his legal career as a law clerk and young associate with the Salt Lake City law firm of Berman, Tomsic & Savage from 2002–2004.
Mr. Kaufman concentrates his practice in civil litigation, focusing on disputes concerning business, divorce, personal injury, real property, and trusts & estates. Mr. Kaufman also assists business clients with a wide range of needs and assists individuals with preparing their estate plans.
Mr. Kaufman has successfully represented defendants and plaintiffs in Utah federal and state courts at both the trial and appellate level. Mr. Kaufman was chosen by his peers as one of Utah Business Magazine‘s Utah Legal Elite for 2012, and 2014 through 2018. From 2008 through 2010, Mr. Kaufman was also named as one of the top young attorneys in the Mountain States region in the Rising Stars® list published by Super Lawyers® Magazine. Mr. Kaufman is a member of the Utah State and Weber County Bars and was the President of the Weber County Bar Association for 2011. Mr. Kaufman also served as Vice Chairman and a four-year member on the Farmington City Planning Commission from 2011–2014 and previously served on the Farmington City Board of Adjustments.
Mr. Kaufman is a 2004 graduate from the University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law, where he graduated Order of the Coif (top ten percent). Prior to graduation, Mr. Kaufman served as an Articles Editor for the Utah Law Review and as an intern for the Chief Justice of the Utah Supreme Court. Mr. Kaufman is originally from Ogden, Utah.
Professional Recognitions and Awards
• Selected as One of Utah Business Magazine’s Utah Legal Elite (2015)
• Selected as One of Utah Business Magazine’s Utah Legal Elite (2014)
• Selected as One of Utah Business Magazine’s Utah Legal Elite (2012)
• Named “Rising Star” by Mountain States Super Lawyers® (2010)
• Named “Rising Star” by Mountain States Super Lawyers® (2009)
• Named “Rising Star” by Mountain States Super Lawyers® (2008)
• Utah Law Review, Articles Editor, 2003–2004
• Utah Law Review, Staff Member, 2002–2003
• The Liability Reform Act Subsequent to Field v. Boyer Co.: Sounding the Death Knell of Civil Conspiracy in Utah? 2003 Utah Law Review 1077
• McCowin v. Salt Lake City Corp., 176 P.3d 492 (Utah Ct. App. 2008)
• Nutraceutical Corp. v. Vitacost.Com, Inc., 2006 WL 1493224 (D. Utah)
• Monarch Nutritional Laboratories, Inc. v. Maximum Human Performance, Inc., 2005 WL 1683734 (D. Utah)
• Farmington City Planning Commission, Member (2012–2014)
• Farmington City Planning Commission, Alternate Member (2011)
• Farmington City Board of Adjustments, Alternate Member (2010–2011)
• Farr, Kaufman, Nichols, Kaufman & Rasmussen, Partner, 2010–2013
• Tomsic & Peck, Associate, 2005–2009
• Berman Tomsic & Savage, Associate, 2004
• Berman, Gaufin, Tomsic & Savage, Law Clerk, 2002–2004
• Phi Delta Theta
Professional Activities, Associations, and Memberships
• Utah State Bar Association, 2004–Present
• Weber County Bar Association, 2009–Present
• Young Lawyers Division CLE Committee Chairman, 2008–2009