As a proud parent of a child enrolled in our public schools, I am deeply troubled that Governor DeSantis has ordered Florida’s schools to physically reopen 5-days a week, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
All over our state, teachers, parents, and school leaders are fighting back against this reckless order that puts all of us at greater risk. In fact, our state’s largest teacher’s union just sued Governor DeSantis to stop this declaration.
I stand with our teachers, students and local leaders, and I will continue to fight for the safety and security of our children, our families, and our community.
Here is my plan:
- Make decisions based on the advice of health experts and scientific consensus.
- Prioritize the health and safety of students, teachers, and parents.
- Invest in technology that allows for greater flexibility to conventional brick and mortar education.
- Prepare our schools for a safe and reasonable reopening.
- Allow school districts the flexibility to reopen on a timetable that makes sense for them and allows for distance learning.
Democrat for Florida State House, District 81