After a vehicle is totaled in an accident, a person will need compensation to cover the harm they faced. Since the damage, in this case, is very severe, a person will likely be entitled to receive more compensation to help them get back to a good quality of life. An insurance company will likely just pay a person for the total value of their vehicle in a situation where the entire car has been totaled. This will happen if the cost to repair the vehicle is greater than the total value of the vehicle.

Once a person gets in touch with their insurance company after getting into a car accident, they will likely be given a recommended shop by their insurer to have their repairs done. However, a person does not have to go to the repair shop that the insurer recommended. A trained auto accident lawyer can help a person get to the repair shop that they prefer instead of following the one the insurer wants. Everyone has different preferences and if there is a place that offers good services for good prices and a person is comfortable with them, they have the right to get their vehicle repaired at that location.

However, since insurers want to make sure they are only paying for the repairs caused by the accident and not additional repairs, then this can become a dispute and an attorney can help them communicate their needs and wants to their insurance company.

What if the other driver did not have insurance in Minneapolis, MN?

One’s insurance company will pay for the damage a driver faced if they have collision coverage minus the deductible. If a driver does not carry collision coverage, they can litigate against the other party and sue them so they can get compensated through the court.

The court limit is generally around $15,000. Even if a person suffered more damage than that, this is generally the cap. However, if the case was very severe then the guilty driver may have to pay punitive damages for the harm they inflicted. If a person faced serious personal injuries or there was a loss of life caused by the collision, the legal circumstances become different, and a lawyer can better educate a person on their possible routes of action.

Get in touch with a car accident lawyer at the Law Office of Martin Montilino today to learn more about what steps a person can take to receive a proper settlement after their vehicle gets severely damaged in a car accident.

Reach them at:

3109 Hennepin Avenue South

Minneapolis, MN 55408

(612) 236-1320

[email protected]


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *