more pedestrian-related accidents occur, we are here to provide you with a few safety tips you can begin implementing now to keep you and your loved ones safe despite all the chaos that might be going on. General Pedestrian Safety Tips According to the Montgomery County Government, pedestrians must remember the following if they want to stay safe this holiday season:
- Just because you see a car headed in your direction doesn’t mean the driver of it sees you. That means you shouldn’t cross the road unless you know it is safe to do so.
- You need to make yourself more visible as drivers are much more distracted this time of year. When walking during the early morning hours or at night, be sure the clothing you are wearing is brightly-colored and that you are carrying reflective accessories.
- You should be carrying a flashlight with you when walking in the dark so that you are able to see where you are going and to help make yourself more visible to drivers.
- You should always be giving your full attention when out walking. This means you shouldn’t be looking down at your cell phone, engaging in a conversation with a friend, or wearing headphones.
Safety Tips for When You are Walking Through a Parking Lot
- As we mentioned above, you should never be using your cell phone when out walking, even if it is just through a parking lot.
- If you had headphones in while shopping, be sure to take them out when you are walking to your car. Not only can this help you to hear when a vehicle is approaching, but it can help also you hear if someone might be approaching you. Remember, as exciting as the holiday season might be, it is also an opportunity for thieves to take advantage of shoppers who are carrying money and expensive items with them that aren’t paying attention to their surroundings.
- Don’t assume drivers see you when walking to or from your vehicle.
- Don’t walk behind a vehicle that is backing out.
- Be aware and constantly look out for moving vehicles.
Some other pedestrian safety tips the Montgomery County Government offer include:
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Walk with confidence and know where you are going.
- Trust your instinct. If you find that someone is making you feel uneasy, avoid the person or leave the area.
- Stick to well-lighted and well-traveled streets. Avoid shortcuts through wooded areas, parking lots, or alleys.
- Do not flash large amounts of cash or other tempting targets like expensive jewelry or clothing.
- Have your car or house key in hand before you reach the door.
- If you believe you are being followed, switch directions or cross the street and walk toward an open store, restaurant, or lighted house.
It is essential that all pedestrians are alert and cautious this holiday season to avoid from engaging in any type of accident or becoming a thief’s next target. However, if you recently suffered an injury while crossing the road or walking through a parking lot in Alexandria and are now seeking answers to some of the legal questions you have, contact Alexandria, LA personal injury attorney Davey Jones. At the Jones Law Firm, we understand how confusing and upsetting this time can be which is why we are here to help you and support you. Our firm is experienced in handling all types of accident cases and will be more than happy to help you fight for the compensation you are entitled to receive for the injuries you suffered.
You can call or visit the Jones Law Firm at: 1330 Jackson Street Alexandria, LA 71301