A green card through marriage in the United States will maintain validity for two years because it is generally a conditional green card. Once the two-year time frame passes, a person will have the option of applying to remove the conditions, so their green card no longer remains temporary. Anyone who has a conditional green card will need to apply for the conditions to be removed and extended for up to 10 more years.

A person also has the option to apply for naturalization whenever they meet the conditions. Individuals can obtain citizenship by applying for a certificate of citizenship or through the naturalization process. If a person has a green card, they must go through naturalization to become a citizen. Eligibility is only possible for individuals who have not violated the terms of their green cards and they have no serious criminal record and they also have good moral character. Anyone who fails the moral character test should connect with an immigration lawyer to get legal advice on what they should do next.

Taking action after a visa expiration in San Antonio, Texas

It’s essential to get the situation rectified as soon as possible if a visa has expired or a person may be collecting days of illegal presence and this could put them at risk of facing deportation. Based on the type of visa a person has, a person may be able to obtain a receipt of the notice for an extension or change to their status so they can continue to reside legally in the United States.

Following deadlines and making sure that a person has all their documents up to date is especially important when a person has a visa. If they are careless and they forget to renew their visa they may end up in serious trouble with the law.

If a person receives a deportation order, they should try to remain calm no matter how scary the situation can be. It is especially important to keep in mind that a person just received a notice to appear which is the beginning of removal proceedings but not the final order. A person must make arrangements so they can attend their required court dates because if they end up missing the date, they may be deported in their absence.

Get in touch with an immigration attorney at the Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen today to learn more about the immigration process and to educate oneself on what a person can do to ensure they remain legally in the United States.

Reach them at:

206 East Locust Street

San Antonio, TX 78212

(210) 769-3273

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *