SAN DIEGO (CNS) – September 29, 2020
A driver was killed when his car was struck by a trolley after he drove past a trolley crossing gate in the Valencia Park area, police said Tuesday. The 22-year-old man was driving a Toyota Prius southbound on 60th Street toward Imperial Avenue when he drove past trolley crossing arms and was struck by an eastbound trolley, Buttle said. The impact pushed the vehicle about 100 feet down the tracks and the victim’s life tragically ended at the scene.
In 2019, 3,540 motor-vehicle deaths were reported with the majority of deaths occurring in passenger cars, light trucks and motorcycles. If an individual is injured in a motor vehicle accident in the State of California, car accident attorneys can answer questions about how the laws will affect property damage, personal injury, and accidental death insurance claims. Legal counsel will then review industry-standard processes utilized for damage valuations of property, residual bodily harm, and loss of life, and make certain the insurance company’s offer represents resultant compensatory and punitive damages to cover a victim’s losses.
Insurance and damages.
California law requires that drivers have a way to cover costs related to damages, or injuries caused in car accidents. The minimum amount of liability insurance drivers must have on a policy is:
- $15,000 for injury/death to one person.
- $30,000 for injury/death to more than one person.
- $5,000 for damage to property.
Car insurance policies may include automobile death benefits for insured persons and the policy will indicate the nature and extent of that coverage. Death benefits are paid out if an individual named in the policy dies as a result of an injury sustained while occupying a car in a car accident, or by being hit by a car. Car insurance death benefits will only pay out when it is clear the death was a result of an auto accident.
- Economic damages include present and future loss of earnings, medical bills, future medical care, household expenses, and
- Non-economic damages include pain and suffering, mental anguish and loss of consortium or companionship.
- Punitive damages are considered under California law and are based on occasions where an individual’s actions were reckless, intention, egregious and harmful and caused the injury, such as reckless driving, or distracted driving.
Hire an attorney.
An experienced accident attorney can work with insurance carriers, or initiate legal action after a loved one is injured, or suffers harm in a car accident near San Diego California. Seek counsel at Jeffrey E. Estes & Associates immediately after an accident causes harmful personal loss and fatal injury.
Jeffrey E. Estes & Associates, a Professional Law Corporation
501 West Broadway, Suite 1650
San Diego, CA 92101