Texas – March 17, 2021
In 2017, 4,657 fatal crashes involving large trucks occurred in the United States, Big rig trucking accidents continue to plague the roadways as American businesses depend on transit carriers to supply goods from state-to-state, and locally. This time-sensitive industry yields increased levels of property damage, life-altering physical injuries, and death to drivers when something goes wrong with a vehicle, or due to driver inexperience, or negligence. While it is difficult to pinpoint causes for many truck accidents, there are certain nuances that impact the damages that result when a semi-tractor trailer is involved. Truck accident attorneys in Texas can assist with property damage, personal injury, and wrongful death legal claims after an accident as they are familiar with certain big rig features.
- Carriers operating in Texas must adhere to the maximum length, height, width, and axle limitations and meet requirements for bridge and weight laws. The size discrepancy between large trucks and passenger vehicles is a major factor in the amount of damages caused in truck accidents. Truck accident attorneys can assist when a truck is over the regulation sizes, supporting a higher settlement for catastrophic damages in a legal claim. Texas State law and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration have specific insurance requirements for tractor trailer trucks based on their size and type of cargo.
- Eighteen wheelers need more stopping distance than smaller commercial vehicles, and passenger cars. For this reason, some roadways have emergency “runaway ramps” filled with gravel at the bottom of steep hills. The length of time to stop an eighteen wheeler is 66% greater than that of an automobile traveling at 65 mph and varies depending on the weight of cargo loads, road conditions, and other factors. The ten brake system and anti-lock features impact the way a large truck will stop, or crash causing it to rollover, jackknife, or become involved in an underride situation.
- A tractor trailer works in tandem to assist with weight distribution. Tandem is a set of two axles, with one axle immediately following the other allowing each axle to bear less weight through Eighteen wheelers have a total of five axles and there are laws limiting the amount of weight that can be carried on each axle.
- If improper training, or negligence is the cause for an accident based on a commercial driver’s actions, or records, it will play a significant part in proving shared fault with the trucking company.
- Texas is a “fault state” and utilizes the 51% rule, where an injured person can be up to 50% responsible for an accident and still collect damages, but if they are more than 51% responsible for the accident, there will be no recoverable compensation.
Seek legal counsel.
Experienced Texas attorneys can offer truck accident victims, and their families, competent legal counsel with valuable resources to support a case, even when seemingly minor injuries are a result. Tractor trailer accident losses should be investigated by insurance and legal professionals who can establish the merits of legal action. Cooper Law Firm can file a legal action for personal injury damages, wrongful death losses, or survivor’s insurance benefits caused by a truck accident.
Cooper Law Firm
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 2222
Longview, TX 75606
Physical Address: 501 N Third St,
Longview, TX 75601
Telephone ; (903) 297-0037
Toll-Free: 1-855-297-HURT (4878)
Facsimile: (903) 236-0035
- Can a Florida real estate attorney assist renters who have air conditioning concerns? - September 14, 2022
- What should Woodstock Georgia drunk driving accident victims do to recover losses? - September 2, 2022
- Negative impact of Instagram caused eating disorder and attempted suicide in Kentucky. - August 16, 2022