Texas, Should I accept the child support offer my spouse presented or obtain a child support order from the court?

Your spouse has offered to pay you “X” amount of dollars to go towards child support in exchange for you to not file a request for child support with the courts. Do you accept the offer or contact a local child support attorney in Brownsville, TX to initiate the formal process for requesting child support? While the decision is ultimately up to you, there are a few things you are going to want to consider should you decide not to go through the courts.


  1. The amount offered might be less than what you are actually entitled to collect.

Many parents know that if they are taken to court over child support, they are likely going to have to pay out more than what they would like which is why some try and make arrangements with their child’s other parent without getting the courts involved. Now, if you would like to leave the courts out of the matter but want to be sure you are being provided with the support you are entitled to, consider consulting with a Brownsville, TX child support lawyer.


  1. Your ex-partner can stop paying at their discretion.

Without a court order, your child’s other parent is not obligated to pay you child support, even if the two of you sat down together and discussed payments. The fact is, without a court-issued order, your child’s other parent isn’t obligated to pay you anything. Essentially, what this means is that if he/she misses a payment or refuses to continue paying, you cannot contact your family court and ask for help in getting them to pay. Instead, you would need to file an application requesting child support before the court can help you.


  1. Your child’s other parent can pay you what they want without a court order.

Just as we mentioned before, when you don’t have a court order, there are no rules governing how much your child’s other parent has to pay you and when they should pay. This means one month they might give you the $500 you agreed on but the next only give you $300.


How do I apply for child support in Texas?


To apply for child support in Texas, you will need to submit an application with the Child Support Division of the Office of the Attorney General. Now, before you follow through with the application process, you are encouraged to contact the Law Offices of Gary A. Ortega, P.C. to ensure your application is properly filled out, filed, and processed. With the COVID-19 pandemic slowing down court processing times, it is important that you have a Brownsville, TX child support attorney working on your side pushing to get your application approved.


You can reach the Law Offices of Gary A. Ortega, P.C. at:


424 E. Jefferson

Brownsville, TX 78520

Phone: 956-541-4838

Website: www.garyortegalaw.com

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *