For many injured victims, the primary question after a DUI accident is simple: “How much money will I get?” This question might seem crude or even greedy to outsiders, but the truth is that victims are fully entitled to ask how much their claim might be worth. Remember, these victims need to figure out how they’re going to pay for the cost of living — which is rising more and more each day (1). When victims are struggling with expensive medical expenses, missed wages, and many other losses, financial concerns are very relevant.
If you’ve been injured by a drunk driver and you’re wondering how much your claim might be worth, you first need to figure out which damages you can claim. In order to do this, you’ll need to meet with a lawyer. But we know what you’re thinking: “Where can I find attorneys near me?” The truth is that finding Texas accident lawyers is much easier than you think.
When determining how much your claim might be worth, you generally start with your economic damages. As the name suggests, these damages represent damages that are purely financial in nature. Here are a few examples:
- Medical Expenses: Perhaps the most notable economic damage in most personal injury lawsuits involves the plaintiff’s medical expenses. As many are no doubt aware, medical care is not nationalized in the United States (2). This means you’re on the hook for the costs of your treatment — and this can put you in serious debt.
- Missed Wages: Injuries often prevent you from working, leading to serious financial losses. Many Americans today live paycheck to paycheck, which means even a single week of missed wages can result in financial ruin. A serious injury can lead to months or even years of missed wages. Some victims never work again after suffering injuries.
- Funeral Expenses: If family members file wrongful death lawsuits on behalf of their deceased loved ones, they may also claim funeral expenses as a damage.
Since Texas is an at-fault state, you can also claim non-economic damages when you file a claim. These damages represent the emotional and psychological issues that come with injuries and accidents. Examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Where Can I Find an Attorney?
If you’ve been searching for Texas DUI or DWI accident lawyers, there are many professionals available to help you. With the help of a qualified attorney, you can calculate your damages and pursue a fair, adequate settlement that will help you cover these damages. Due to the statute of limitations, you may lose the ability to sue if you don’t act quickly. So be proactive and book your consultation today with an experienced lawyer.
Image Credit: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Kulmalukko
Image License: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.en
If you have further questions about this article or legal concerns call 800-672-3103
- Who Do You Sue if You Were Hit by a Mail Truck? - June 26, 2022
- What if I Was Disfigured in a Semi-Truck Accident? - June 22, 2022
- Why Do People Keep Losing Their Lives Due to Fiery Semi-Truck Crashes in Michigan? - June 22, 2022