You are living in Texas on a student visa and your program end date is quickly approaching. While you know you are required to depart the U.S. within 60 days after the day your program has ended, you aren’t ready to leave. Unfortunately, if you choose to remain in the U.S. after those 60 days have passed, you put yourself at risk of facing some rather serious consequences.

According to the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs, when a student fails to depart the U.S. on time, they are considered to be “out of status.” An immigrant who falls out of status is someone who has failed to comply with the set of requirements they initially agreed to when they were granted permission to enter the U.S. And when an immigrant fails to maintain status, they put themselves at risk of being forced to leave the U.S., or even worse, arrested. Unfortunately, falling out of status can also impact a person’s ability to reenter the U.S. at a later time.

In many cases, when a person falls out of status and remains in the U.S. for a period longer than they are legally permitted to, they will become ineligible for a visa for a specific period of time and they may even be barred from lawfully returning to the U.S. for several years. So, if your student visa recently expired and you wish to remain in the U.S., the Texas immigration lawyers at the Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen are ready and available to provide you with the assistance you are going to need.


Applying for a Change of Status or Submit a Request to Extend Your Stay


Immigrants who wish to remain in the U.S. for a period longer than what their travel documents allow them can do one of two things if they are looking to continue their stay in the U.S.


  1. Request an extension through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website.
  2. Request a change of status. If you found a job in Texas while attending school on a student visa and would like to continue working with the employer, a Texas immigration lawyer can help you submit the appropriate paperwork to get your status changed. In the event you met someone and got married, the TX immigration attorneys at the Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen can explain what your next steps should be so that you can remain in the U.S. with your spouse.


It is never advisable for an immigrant to overstay their visa as it could impact future opportunities. Therefore, if your student visa is expiring and you would like to continue your stay in the U.S., contact the Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen so that an immigration lawyer can begin helping you.


You can reach the Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen at:


310 South St. Mary’s Street, Suite 2100

San Antonio, Texas 78205

Phone: 210-503-2800


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *