Foreign students who are interested in completing a particular course of study in the U.S. must obtain a student visa before gaining permission to do so. There are two types of visas a student can apply for, an F visa and an M visa. The course of study a student chooses will determine which type of visa they will need to apply for.


F Visa

If a student is looking to enter the U.S. to attend any of the following, they will need to apply for an F visa:

  • University or college
  • High school
  • Private elementary school
  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Another academic institution, including a language training program.


M visas are for students who are looking to attend a vocational school or another nonacademic institution. 

In order to obtain an F visa or an M visa, an individual must submit their application, pay the non-refundable visa application fee of $160, and schedule an interview. In most cases, when a student is 13 years of age or younger, they typically won’t be required to participate in an interview.


Applying for an F or M Student Visa


If an individual is living in another country and wishes to apply for a student visa, they will need to contact their U.S. Embassy or Consulate for instructions on how to do so. However, if a person is already living/working in the U.S. and wants to change their status to an F visa, they may be able to do so if they qualify. The Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen is an immigration law firm in Texas that can help individuals looking to apply for a student visa understand the process.


Advantages of Hiring a Texas Immigration Lawyer When Applying for an F or M Student Visa


The lawyers at the Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen can assist with the application process and ensure the documents that are being submitted are free from any errors. Some other advantages of hiring a Texas immigration lawyer when applying for a student visa include:

  • They can guide the applicant through the entire process and answer any questions or concerns as they arise.
  • Prepare the applicant for their visa interview.
  • Address any issues that might come up.
  • Help an applicant understand their legal rights once they are issued their student visa.

To connect with an immigration attorney in Texas who can assist a foreign national obtain their student visa, contact the Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen at 210-503-2800.


You can reach the Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen at:


310 South St. Mary’s Street, Suite 2100

San Antonio, Texas 78205

Phone: 210-503-2800


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *