Who qualifies for deferred action in Atlanta?

Atlanta, GA – If you are in the process of being deported from the United States, you may have a chance to avoid that by applying for deferred action. The term ‘deferred action’ comes from DACA, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, a program that began in 2012 at the initiative of President Obama. At its inception, the program was meant to help hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants get their papers in order. If you have not used this opportunity so far, you may try to apply for DACA to block deportation procedures. The process is fairly complex and when you are about to be removed from the country you cannot afford to waste any time or make any mistakes in your documents. Your best chance is to contact an experienced Atlanta deferred action attorney right away. 

Who is eligible for deferred action in Georgia?

Here are the main eligibility criteria for deferred action. 

  • You were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012
  • You came to the US before turning 16
  • You had lived in the US for at least 5 years when DACA was launched, that is since June 2007.
  • You are currently enrolled in a US school or have graduated from high school, or you were discharged honorably from the military
  • You have not committed a felony, a significant misdemeanor or three misdemeanors. 

There are several forms you need to fill in, including I-821D, I-765 and I-765WS, and you must submit a series of documents proving that you meet the requirements.

How can I prove continuous residence in the US?

When you apply for deferred action you will need to submit proof of age. A birth certificate will do for that. The most challenging part is to prove that you were physically present in the US on June 15, 2012 and you had lived continuously in the country before that. An knowledgeable Georgia immigration lawyer can help you unearth the documents that would be acceptable to the USCIS, the agency that can grant deferred action to individuals facing deportation. 

For instance, you can use school documents showing that you were enrolled in some type of educational institution at the time. A diploma would be great proof, but any school document with a clear date on it will do. You will have to contact your old school and ask for attendance records, progress reports or school transcripts.

Medical records can also be used to prove continuous presence in the US. You can submit proof of medical, dental or vision appointments, doctor’s notes or prescriptions that have a date on them or immunization records 

Employment records can also be used as proof. Contact your employer at the time and ask for copies of your W-2 forms, payroll documents. Even pay stubs work if necessary. 

Rent documents or utility bills can also be submitted along with your other papers. Even if an utility bill is not in your name, you can still submit it provided you can prove you lived in that household at the time.

If you are in the process of being deported or are afraid you might be arrested by the ICE, contact a skilled immigration attorney at the Kuck | Baxter Immigration LLC law firm in Atlanta and let them help you stay in Georgia with your loved ones. 

Contact info:

Kuck | Baxter Immigration LLC

365 Northridge Road

Suite 300

Atlanta, GA 30350

Tel : (404) 816-8611

Image source: Wikimedia Commons

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.