Store owners and operators have a huge responsibility on their shoulders. Not only are they responsible for monitoring their sales and profits, but they also need to be certain that the people who are putting money into their pockets are safe while shopping. Unfortunately, not all retailers take the precautionary measures that are needed to keep shoppers out of harm’s way. Those who fail to ensure their premises are safe for consumers to enter often find that accidents like falls occur.
Some of the common reason why these falls happen include:
- The flooring (e.g. carpet, tile, etc.) is lifted or uneven and the store owner or operator neglects to get it repaired or replaced.
- The floor is slippery or wet.
- The walkway is cluttered.
- Signs are not used to inform shoppers of the present hazards.
- Lifted floormats.
When a person falls in a store and it is determined that the incident could have been prevented had the store staff taken the necessary preventative measures to avoid it, they may have a case against the retailer. The Chula Vista, CA slip and fall accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Bruce S. Meth can help a person who has fallen in a store understand their legal rights and assist them with recovering compensation given it is due.
Slip and Fall Prevention Tactics for Retailers
One way a retailer can prevent falls is by recognizing the hazards that cause them. When a retailer is able to do this, it can prevent an accident from happening. Some of the slip and fall prevention tactics a retailer can use to prevent a slip and fall accident from happening include:
- Have employees check the areas that are prone to having water spill. For example, if there is a floral area in a store, there may be water droplets left on the floor as customers shop for the perfect floral arrangement.
- Use proper signage to warn shoppers when a hazard is present. If the floor is slippery or wet, employees should put down a “wet floor” sign to deter shoppers away from the area.
- Have employees check the aisles regularly to ensure items haven’t fallen on the floor or that the floormats haven’t lifted.
- Have employees clearly mark any areas where the flooring might be uneven or lifted until it can be fixed.
The Law Offices of Bruce S. Meth Can Help Victims of Slip and Fall Accidents
After a fall has occurred in a store in Chula Vista, CA, or a nearby area, the injured party should contact a Chula Vista, CA slip and fall accident lawyer right away while the evidence is still fresh. If the victim has a viable case against the store, the lawyers at the Law Offices of Bruce S. Meth will be able to help him/her take the necessary steps to hold the store accountable for the negligent behavior that led to the accident.
The Law Offices of Bruce S. Meth can be reached at:
Phone: (619) 691-8942
Email: [email protected]
Chula Vista Office
815 Third Ave., Ste. 115
Chula Vista, CA 91911
Mission Valley Office
1761 Hotel Court, Suite 250
San Diego, CA 92108